Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tilt by Ellen Hopkins



Tilt by Ellen Hopkins shows how teens deal  with disappointing, confusing, and depressing events that happen to high school students /young adults. Throughout the book Hopkins introduces you to many different characters who relate to one of the three main characters (Mikayla , Harley, and Shane).The book Tilt is a coming to age story showing different struggles teens go through with school , family, and love life.
“It wasn’t the work or the struggle to pull exceptional grades. It wasn’t even the gay bashing” Shane (p.12) . Shane’s story starts of about how  he deals with his  problems differently than the other main characters do “ The ability to redirect negative  energy toward something more deserving… I am an expert bad mojo shifter”.
“Behind a fake smile. I wear it all the time. everyone says how I always look so cheerful. Shows what they know, I guess” Harley(p.24) . Harley  like Shane does starts off the story by telling the readers who she deals with her problems .Harley deals with  self pity  by telling herself how “little kids in Africa are starving in  Africa “  and how “old people  freezing to death” and thinks about  the less fortunate ,but somewhat still feels the same as she did before.
In the book Mikayla the first character you meet reading the book doesn’t just deal  problems by blocking out everything, but  putting  her love life before anything .she pauses important things to put love first, until it take a turn for the worst.


No comments:

Post a Comment