Khayla Carway
810
Perfected
by Ellen Hopkins
The book "perfected" by Ellen Hopkins shows us how words can hurt one even if you don't mean what you say. When reading the book I really felt like I knew the characters or if I knew someone like them. The story began out with Cara, twin sister of 17 year old Conner who had committed suicide. Even though I sometimes felt uncomfortable with reading the book, I feel as if students my age should read a book like this at least once in our lives. This book should not get banned, so students see what happens when you name call and bully.
"Perfect?
how do you define a word without a concrete meaning? to each his own, the saying goes, so why push attain an ideal state of being that no two random people will agree is where you want to be? Faultless." (Cara, P.5)
in the book this really stood out to me because the meaning behind this is that something might seem different meaning to you than other so you shouldn't care what they think.
"Pretty,
that's what I am, I guess. I mean, people have been telling me that's what I am since I was two. Maybe younger. Pretty as a picture. (who wants to be in a cliché?) pretty as an angel."(Kendra p.12)
Kendra is 17 years old, cheerleader that everyone admires except Cara. Some wish to be like her but Kendra , just wants to be normal.
"Buff.
don't like that word. not tough enough to describe a weight sculpted body. Built is better, like a builder frames a house."(Sean)
Sean is self obsessed with they way he looks and act.
Throughout the book the characters talk about depression and anxiety. I think that reason schools and parents would want to banned these books because it talks about thoughts of suicide and depression.
No comments:
Post a Comment